Martin has helped organisations comply with data protection laws for over 30 years.
Jan 2021 - Apr 2021
Hutchison 3G Ltd
Martin provided specialist and practical guidance in relation to data protection laws and regulations to assist the mobile operator Three's compliance with the relevant requirements. He worked with the DPO of the holding company (CK Huchison Holdings Ltd) to co-ordinate compliance with data protection laws and regulatory expectations within Europe andfHong Kong, and also mentored the incoming Data Protection Officer.
Nov 2017 - Aug 2020
Standard Chartered Bank
As an Executive Director, Martin served as deputy to the bank's Data Protection Officer, advising data protection and compliance leads at the Bank's head offices in London and Singapore, and compliance staff in the Bank's 63 operating countries worldwide. As the Subject Matter Expert to the BAnk's GDPR Project Team, he helped designpolicies and procedures that were in line with the organisation's global risk apetite and the particular needs of local jurisdictions. He also:
- Monitored and performed a large number of Privacy Impact Assessments to ensure that new initiatives met local and, where appropriate, EU data protection requirements
- Reviewed key data mapping exercises
- Reviewed GDPR training and awareness intiatives
- Represented the organisation at key industry/DCMS liaison meetings on legislative initiatives, including the content of the Date Protection Act 2018
Apr 2016 - Nov 2017
Grant Thornton LLP
Martin took an active role in developing Grant Thornton'a privacy practice through various means including proposition and service development. He managed a team of professionals providing a wide range of privacy services to clients, mainly in the financial services sector. Projects ranged from privacy audits and targetted General Data Protection Regulation readiness assurance assignments to large-scale business transformation programmes.
May 2012 - Sep 2017
Privacy Consulting Ltd
- Carrying out Privacy Impact Assessments for public sector bodies in Ireland
- Developing and performing data protection reviews to help UK organisations, principally in the financial services, telecommunications and education sectors, run effective data protection governance programmes
Nov 2015 - Feb 2016
Joint Parliamentary Committee on the draft Investigatory Powers Bill
July 2012 - Nov 2012
Joint Parliamentary Committee on the draft Communications Data Bill
Martin was appointed Specialist Advisor to assist these Committees in respect of their consideration of the draft Bills. He briefed parliamentarians, identified potential witnesses, and helped draft the final reports.
Sep 2000 - May 2012
Everything Everywhere Ltd (previously known as T-Mobile UK and One2One)
As Head of Data Protection, Martin was responsible for creating a data protection strategy which took account of the different requirements of EE. Orange and T-Mobile.
Between Jan 2001 & Jan 2011 Martin managed the T-Mobile Law Enforcement Liaison Team, with a budget of £4.5m and staff of 18, and maintained its reputation as the UK's most highly regarded telecommunications law enforcement liaison unit.
He represented the company on the Home Offie working party on communications data retention, which devised and monitored statutory communications data retention standards and relevant laws (Mar 01 - Jan 12).
He represented the company on the Association of Chief Police Officers' Data Communications Group, which devised and monitored statutory communications data provision standards (Mar 01 - Mar 09).
He represented the company on the DTI working party which implemented EU Directives on privacy and electronic communications (Jan 02 - Sep 03) and subsequently represented the company during Ministry of Justice / ICO discussions on the implementation of the ePrivacy Directive (Jan 10 - May 11).
He represented the company on the Confederation of British Industry's Data Protection PAnel & the CBI's Information Security Working Group (Sep 08 - May 12).
He represented the company on the British Standards Institute working party which developed an internationally recognised standard for compliance wirth the Data Protection Act [BS 10012:2009] (May 08 - Jun 09).
Martin was required to have a British security clearance (DV).
Nov 1989 - Sep 2000
Association of British Insurers
Martin developed ABI's representations on a wide range of legislative matters concerning general insurance legislation, then specifically liability insurance, and was accountable for ABI's liaison with the Insurance Ombudsman Bureau. He was also responsible for the data protection aspects of the Claims & Underwriting Exchange (Oct 1993 - Jun 1995).
He specialised in issues involving data protection, human rights, freedom of information, electronic commerce, unfair contract terms, the establishment of the Financial Ombudsman Service, and the development of ABI's codes, standards and other regulatory initiatives.
He represented the ABI on a working party which created the Northern Ireland Personal Injury Anti-Fraud Register (launched in Jun 94).
He represented the ABI on a working party to devise the Persinal Investment Authority Ombudsman Scheme, set up by the PIA (Sep 03 - Feb 04).
- Author of "How to be a Decent DPO: letters to aspiring privacy pros" (Nov 21)
- Contributor to "BS10012:2017", the British Standards Institute's internationanlly recognised standard for compliance with the Data Protection Act (Mar 2017)
- Author of "How do I carry out a data protection audit?" (Kindle edition published Jul 14)
- Contributor to "Monitoring Internet Communications", published by the Parliamentary Office of Science & Technology [PN 436] (May 2013)
- Contributor to Joint Parliamentary Committee Report on the draft Communications Data Bill (Dec 2012)
- Author of "Data Protector", the data protection blog (Nov 2009 - present)
- Contributor to "Privacy Design Guidelines for Mobile Application Development", published by the GSM Association (Feb 2012)
- Contributor to "Mobile Privacy Principles", published by the GSM Association (Jan 2011)
- Contributor to "BS10012:2009", the British Standards Institute's internationally recognised standard for compliance with the Data Protection Act (Jun 2009)
- Joint author of "Guidance Book for the Financial Services Industries on the Data Protection Act 1998", (Aug 2000)
- Joint author of "The Data Protection Code", published by the Association of British Insurers (Dec 1993)
- Contributor to "Compensation for Victims of Crime", a report published by Victim Support (Jul 1993)
Organisations and Working Parties
- Chairman, Data Protection Forum (May 2010 - Sep 2014)
- Member, Department of Media, Culture & Sport [initially set up by the Ministry of Justice] Data Protection Advisory Panel (Sep 2012 - Sep 2017)
You can trust Martin with your privacy operations because he has an ISEB Certificate in Data Protection, awarded by the British Computer Society. [Certificate No: 990413638]